Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Christmas, sick monsters & more greenhouse pictures

Christmas is over for another year and what a year its been for us. We are pretty much all settled in to the new place and are trying to get the finishing touches done on the greenhouse to be able to put the plastic on. We are putting up two layers of plastic and I've been told we pretty much need no snow and no wind but frost in order to successfully put up the plastic. That could be interesting!!

We got the trench dug last week and laid down water and electrical lines. We were going to rent a trench digger but when we priced a local source it was pretty much the same to get a professional to do it, excellent!! We laid the water hose and electrical ourselves which turned into an adventure in its own right. We knew it was supposed to rain the following day so after we got the boys to bed we went outside to bury the water and electrical lines. Head lamps, shovels, and four hours later we were pretty much done. The rain came sooner than we had expected so we got nicely soaked.

I'm not sure if it was because of that or probably just that did not help but the next day I was so sick. I could hardly move, no energy and just felt like anll I could do was sleep. Derek had to come home from work to take care of the boys and I basically slept the rest of the day and night. Jake also was not feeling very well due to a bad head cold and his conditio continued to get quite a bit worse and lasted all through the Christmas weekend. He's starting to come around but his sleep pattern at night seems to be off which makes for a long sleepy day for me!!

We did have a good Christmas despite the mountain of kleenex that seemed to pile up. The boys were still not really into opening presents but really enjoyed seeing new toys. We went back to our woods in Brookvale for our annual Christmas tree hunt but Jake was not really in the "spirit" so we just took the first one we saw that we liked. It looked great in the woods, it was very full, but when we got it home we realized it was way too big, especially when we tried to bring it into the house. It pretty much filled our front living room.

Here are some pictures of the greenhouse progress since the last blog

Derek and Larry working on the end walls


End walls finally done

Derek and I working during a chilly afternoon while the boys napped

Using self tapping screws to attach the plywood to the end greenhouse hoop. It was chilly up there

Trench digger

Water line ready to be buried

The trench was about 200', looking towards the house

Looking toward the greenhouse

The skidsteer ran into a big rock and could not dig a clean line so we ended up borrowing a pair of post hole diggers to finish the job. What alot of work!!

No need for a gym membership now

Almost done, and yes I helped too

Ben helping Daddy with the big drill

Drilling the hole for the water line

We rented this drill and it worked like a dream!!

The hole almost done, it took about 4 minutes

It seems like there is not much left to do before the plastic goes on but it all still takes time and the weather is slowing us down. So basically here is our to do list before the plastic goes on
1. channel lock on end hoops with drip edge under the channel lock
3. checking for smooth edges on everything
4. installing big doors & little door

Hopefully the next update shows some real progress.

1 comment:

cindy said...

I always find getting at a job is the hard part. Gosh you guys have been working hard. You are going to have a very nice green house. They are handy, I have one, without water as we got caught on a cold night and the line is broken somewhere.

That skidsteer sure makes a job look easy, could you not just go around the large rock I'm thinking? We had had the odd job that we needed to rent a tool to get the job done and it makes life so much easier when you have the right tool for the job. The boys look cute helping out with the big drill. Take care, happy new year.