Tuesday, October 9, 2012

16th CSA Week


Well, there is no denying that fall has arrived with last nights cold temperatures and this mornings chill!!!  We did not have frost here but in Shamrock, where I drop the boys off, it was very heavy.  It's only a matter of time before we get a good hard frost which will change the look of the garden.  Some veggies can handle a frost such as broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, carrots, parsnips, turnips and some can not handle any frost at all such as basil, tomatoes & peppers.  I harvested all of the winter squash on the weekend and took what was left of the onions.  Last night I thought there was going to be frost so I harvested all of the outside peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers and the last four zucchini.  I could not believe how many peppers that I got, this has been an amazing pepper year for us, and so many red ones.

Variety of winter squash
 
It sure was chilly harvesting Monday evening.  Had to search for my toque but I found it!!

Just a few of the peppers harvested Monday evening


This weeks large share has carrots, butternut squash, leeks, red onion or shallots, bok choy, peppers, broccoli, hardy mix and tomatoes.  The grab boxes were filled with all kinds of yummy veggies including: dill, cilantro, parsley, mixed winter squash, cucumbers, zucchini, hot peppers, cauliflower, celery, parsnips, beets, kale, swiss chard, cabbage, arugula and more of the above veggies.

Tonnes of veggies in the grab boxes
Beautiful rainbow swiss chard
Brussel sprouts after being harvested last week, my poor fingers are still sore!!
 My sister in law sent me this great looking recipe for roasted butternut squash soup that uses quite a few of this weeks veggies.  Check it out at this blog.  http://www.outtolunchcreations.com/recipes/roasted-butternut-squash-soup/

We've got two weeks left of the CSA, how crazy is that!!  It's been a great season and its been so nice to have such a great variety of veggies to offer.  The wheels are already turning for next year and I'm planning on doing the end of season survey soon, you'll get a chance to let me know what worked and what didn't work this season.  We really enjoy reading all the surveys each year and there is always a lot of positive feedback and great suggestions on how to improve the program.  So start thinking about that and we look forward to hearing what you have to say. 

Garlic planting is the next project in the wings.  Garlic is planted in the fall, mulched with straw and then left to hang out for the winter.  It's the first thing to poke out of the ground in the spring and then harvested the last week of July or the first week of August.  It's hard to think of planting at this time of year when the ground is so cold and my fingers are so numb!!!  I'm starting from scratch this year as this past garlic harvest was pretty dismal with some very small and disappointing bulbs.  Normally I would grow enough garlic to have 12 weeks of bulbs for the CSA and enough to replant for the following year, well not this time George!!!

We had a great thanksgiving weekend and actually took the boys to Arlington to go apple picking.  They were pretty excited about the whole thing and loved seeing all the little stuffed creatures hanging out in and around the orchard.  Oh to be a kid again when a giant plastic dinosaur is the best thing since sliced bread.
Apple picking with the monsters
Ben reaching for the biggest apples



Picture perfect squash
I'm going to end this newsletter tonight with a shout out to my friends and CSA members who have been fighting so hard over the Plan B highway realignment.  I've been following the updates on facebook and get my weekly updates at the pick-ups.  I am very proud to say that I know folks that have been so vocal in their concerns of this project and to know they stood up for what they believe in.  I was saddened to hear on the news tonight of the charges laid to the protesters and hope everyone stays safe during the next few days.  So thanks to Chris & Art and their family and to Dave & Sharon for showing me that when you truly believe in something its worth fighting for and taking a stand.  I honked for all I was worth driving by the site today!!!!!

Enjoy this weeks veggies and I hope your all ready for the chilly weather!!  I'm sitting here typing with my hot water bottle on my lap and wishing I had another for my feet, brrrrrrr!!!

Spending some quality time with Grampy in the field.  Memory makers for sure!!

Playing at Kool Breeze in the hay maze last week

No comments: