Tuesday, October 23, 2012

18th CSA Week - It's all over for another season


This week marks the final CSA deliveries for the 2012 season.  Eighteen weeks does not sound that long but it can be a struggle to keep the shares full of variety, high quality and not too repetitive week after week.  It's a challenge that I enjoy but it can also be stressful knowing that I have to fill 75 bins each week.  I really like our grab box system as I feel that it takes some of the stress out of my job by allowing members to customize their "shares". 

The season officially began over seven months ago when I planted the first seeds (leeks) of the year on March 6 and here are are now harvesting the last of them this week.  Back in March the last week of October was not in my thoughts but now it's here and another season is already on my mind waiting to be organized. I've taken a lot of notes this season comparing different varieties, harvest dates, what did and did not work well so hopefully 2013 planning will go a little smoother than it has in the past. It seems that planning never gets fully underway until late January or February but I'm aiming to start the first full week of November and be finished by the end of the month.  That will be my Christmas present to myself!!!
March plantings (lettuce)
This weeks final share has carrots, parsnips, beets, bok choy, red scarlet turnips, white hakurei turnips, a pepper (greenhouse), winter squash and leeks.  The grab boxes were overflowing and I actually had to leave stuff at home as the truck was completely packed with veggies.  I had winter squash jammed in every spare nook and cranny!!  The grab boxes included celery, celariac, chinese cabbage, coloured carrots, dill, cilantro, parsley, lettuce heads, lettuce mix, arugula, baby kale, large kale, tomatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, purple cabbage and more of the above mentioned veggies. 

Some folks were given delicata squash with their share tonight.  Here is a link to a nice tasty recipe.  http://summertomato.com/better-than-butternut-roasted-delicata-squash-recipe/  I cooked some last week but I just cut them in half, scooped out the seeds and put a bit of brown sugar and butter and cook them cut side up until soft.  I let the butter/sugar mixture settle into the meat of the squash and then cut them up and put on a plate, very pretty and very yummy. 

A very yummy looking dish that I'm going to try this weekend for baked apples, no veggies in this recipe but its looks amazing none the less.  http://ohsheglows.com/

Here are some pictures to enjoy of the last weeks harvest and farm adventures.

Beautiful bok choy waiting to be harvested

All lined up pretty and headed for the wash station

Red scarlet turnips


Yummy & beautiful turnips
Stir-fry anyone??

Having the best time running in the leaves

And then stealing the pumpkins

I love being so close to my family.  They were digging potatoes right next door so Ben, Jake and myself hopped in for a drive
Hard to see but we're all squished in the cab with Dad to take a trip around the field while Dad winrows some spuds.  Nice ride eh!!!

Ben & Jake's Halloween craft project made while at Grammy's. 

Can you spot all six kittens?  We only have three left now to find homes for. 
 Well, its been an amazing growing season.  By far the best since we started back in 2003 on that tiny little plot behind my grandparents house.  I have no idea why our vegetables grew so well with the lack of rain and intense heat but I'm so very glad that they did.  We had an abundance of vegetables and I've heard so many great comments about this season from our members that I can only hope to repeat again next season.  Thanks to all our members for supporting us this season and we look forward to seeing you all next year. 

Jen, Derek, Ben & Jake





No comments: