Tuesday, August 28, 2012

10th CSA Week


Finally, a harvest day without sweltering heat!  There was a bit of shower activity this morning so the rain suits were out but it didn't last too long.  Luckily it rained here tonight so hopefully the garden got a bit of a drink.  Derek said it poured a little after supper and I drove through some really heavy thunder showers on my way home around 8:00.  It was actually a pretty good harvest day as we did not have to worry about the sun or heat wilting the veggies. 

The large shares were filled again with all kinds of yummy veggies.  The large share this week had potatoes, carrots, cucumbers, zucchini, cilantro, garlic, green peppers, leeks, cabbage, cauliflower, lettuce mix, beets, beans, tomatoes and onions.  The grab box had fennel, dill, basil, parsley, lemon cucumbers, kale, hot peppers, swiss chard, green onions and more of the above mentioned veggies. 

Caraflex cabbage, I prefer to call it "torpedo cabbage"


Lemon cucumbers, so popular!!

Hot peppers


Green onions and fennel

It's getting to that time of year where my body is really feeling the wear and tear I've been putting on it since the season got busy back in early May.  My knees are sore, back is always stiff and I just can't seem to get caught up in my sleep.  I keep telling myself its a short season and that once November comes I'll be able to "relax".  But in a strange way I enjoy the sore muscles and even though I can hardly get out of bed in the morning I love each pick-up day and getting to see the expressions on our members faces when they get to see what veggies are in their boxes that week.  I got to the pick-up a few minutes late today and all those folks waiting jumped in to lend a hand and helped me set up!!  Thanks guys, your the best.  And thanks to all those who just drop that little extra encouragement or how much they are enjoying the veggies, it really means alot!!


Not a great picture and hard to see anything but this is the early garden section and all that's left is the bed of sad onions, it sure hasn't been a trophy onion year around here!!

So, the following info is in regards to next week's Tuesday pick-up.  Sally from Barnyard Organics will be at the Arlington Orchards pick-up location from 4-5:30 with certified organic chickens for sale.  They will be frozen and are approx 6lbs.  They are $3.75/lb or they are having a special next week for 5 chickens for $100.  She will also have edamame for sale as well.  She had given me a few bags tonight at the pick-up as samplers so hopefully you were able to snag a bag to try them out.  Here is some info she sent me tonight:

Edamame is simply soybeans, harvested before maturity, popular in Asian cuisine, but growing in popularity in North America too!  They are high in fiber (same as 4 slices of whole wheat bread), has as much protein as it does carbs and has as much iron as a roasted chicken breast.  They are cholestrol, wheat and gluten free as well.  The perfect snack!  Just boil for 4-5 minutes (or to desired texture), drain, sprinkle with salt and pop out of the pod right into your mouth. $3.00 for a half pound bag.  Available Tuesday, September 4th at Ellen's Creek Plaza pick up.  Volume discounts available. 
 
Certified organic, pasture-raised chicken available now, vacuum packed, weighed and labelled.  Special on right now of 5 chickens for $100, avg. 6lbs/chicken.  Or you can pick your own at $3.75/lb. 
 
Barnyard Organics is an organic family farm made up of Mark, Sally, Lucy, Wilson and Thayne Bernard.  Producing primarily organic grains for livestock feed, the family also grows edamame, pastured chickens and lamb.  Check out their website at www.barnyardorganics.ca or email them at info@barnyardorganics.ca
 
I'm not sure if Sally is planning a Summerside drop off but I'm sure she could be convinced if there was some interest.
 
The Bernards.  Busy family and great farmers.  They were awarded this years Atlantic Canada's Outstanding Young Farmers!!!     

Enjoy this weeks veggies and hopefully the cooler weather is here to stay.  I do enjoy nice warm weather but the 30 plus degree heat was getting to be a bit much!! 



No comments: