We were finally able to get our potatoes in the ground yesterday. The weather has been a bit uncooperative lately with on and off again showers and extreme winds. We planted seven different varieties. Eramosa, Irish Cobbler, Red Norland, Superior, Yukon Gold, Fabula and Russet Burbank. We used the hillers to mark out the rows and then planted the sets into the hills.
Derek making rows with the hillers
Derek planting the potato sets
Rows of sets (notice they are not that straight, oops)
Jen raking soil over the sets
Rows of potatoes
Once the potatoes were all planted we had the daunting task of laying perforated row cover over the rows. The wind picked up just as we had finished planting so the race was on to lay the plastic before the wind turned it into a big kite. This plastic will help to increase the soil temperature which will allow the sets to sprout faster and grow quicker. This is the first time we used this particular type of row cover and we're eager to see the results.
Up close shot of the perforated plastic
Plastic cover over potato rows